East London home affairs shambles caught on camera

Cape Town - South Africa's new visa rules have been causing quite a few headaches for both citizens and foreign nationals alike, but a Traveller24 reader says he was shocked at the lack of security he found at the East London home affairs offices.

Pierre Alexander told Traveller24 in an email that he visited the department of home affairs in an effort to try and establish how far along his non-South African wife's application for permanent residency was.

Even though the offices were in the process of moving to a new premises, Alexander said he witnessed a general state of disorder.

"There was absolutely no security and random people were walking in and out of the offices. I was in the passage for over 20 minutes before I snapped the pictures and left."
Take a look at the pics here.

Alexander said he found the fact that piles of permit documentation, containing highly personal and confidential information littering the floor and obviously accessible to anyone who walked in, inexcusable.

"Its a pity that the POPI act (protection of personal information act) hasn't been enacted yet," he said.

Want to share your travel experiences with us? Email info@traveller24.com or come join our travel community! Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter and snap away on Instagram.
Thato Seloane 2014-09-03 06:26:16 PM
I'm battling to see the so called shambles. All I see is clearly packaged files ready for pick up and delivery. The one person that breached security was him taking pictures of applicants files and posting them on line.
Bingo 2014-09-03 06:51:47 PM
They are in the process of moving. I don't see the shambles... A ridiculous article
KJ Cannon 2014-09-03 07:17:05 PM
Yes. This a shambles. Confidential document that are being moved or archived have to put in sealed archive boxes. Not just sitting around and tied with string left there for any person to pick up... its frekken confidential and important information!
BrettD 2014-09-03 08:30:45 PM
Looks quite orderly to me!?
Deon K. Alexander 2014-09-03 08:34:32 PM
Horror Affairs...
Bertus Pretorius 2014-09-03 09:58:38 PM
They can't follow even the basic aspects of administration but want first world systems implemented. Another good story in the making.
Siya Majakajaka 2014-09-03 11:08:12 PM
This is not a true reflection of Home Affairs office in East London, I would advise that you visit a new office not far from the old office where you will get a world class service.
David John Bollaert 2014-09-04 01:38:37 AM
Popi act has been signed into law
Arie Vd Plaats933 2014-09-04 02:45:14 AM
I experienced an even worse situation at the Justice department's court record..I needed some detail about a high court decision of some twenty years back. there was such disorder that I could in no way find the relevant file - not to mention the important detail contained in that file. As a consequence, to my chagrin, I had to contact the opposing party for the relevant detail in order to gain any insight whatsoever into the detail.
Nevin Alsar 2014-09-04 07:58:38 AM
We have been asked to present unabridged birh certificate for our child when we travel out of country, and this applies from 1 October, for every parent.I have applied one at Alexandra Home affairs, on 16 june, and told me it would be ready 6-7 weeks.Now I'm at 10 th week,still no signof certificate. Phoned help line and received a reference no. and told that I should phone back 2 weeks time.If I have to travel in 4 weeks time, tehy will not allow my child to travel then. Shambles everywhere.