Leanne Manas: I've lost my morning husband

Cape Town – A highly emotional Leanne Manas addressed South African viewers on Morning Live on Monday on SABC2, sitting next to Vuyo Mbuli's empty chair and pink flowers honouring his legacy after his unexpected death on Saturday.

"Good morning," said Manas with a sigh although she shook her head in the negative and in disbelief.

"It's uhm, a very different morning here at Morning Live," she said, her voice hovering on the verge of crying. "The empty chair where Vuyo used to sit for 14 years."

"This morning as we mourn our loss, we also celebrate the life and times of Vuyo and for the past two days (...) it's been very tough for us here at Morning Live as we come to terms with this massive shock and loss.

"Vuyo was one of the original presenters who started Morning Live on 1 November 1999 with Tracy Going and he and I have been working as an item for the last nine years."

"Our thoughts are with his family, his wife, his two children, his friends, his colleagues, and you out there - the millions of viewers out there who watch Morning Live and who have supported Vuyo through his journey and his life."

'Lost my morning husband'

Manas told viewers that "I feel like I've lost my morning husband. It's very sad."

"Every moment this morning I've expected him to walk through the door. I've been sitting in makeup expecting him to walk up the stairs – he used to run up the stairs in preparation for his Comrades Marathon. But it's no more. But we'll do the best we can without him. A very difficult broadcast we're going to have on Morning Live," said Manas.

"I was warned of Vuyo when I came into television and onto this programme, saying 'Vuyo is a tough guy, he's a this, he's a that', but the moment I sat down with Vuyo when I was doing the elections in 2004 I sat down next to him and he welcomed me like I've never been welcomed by anyone. And from that moment we clicked and I wasn't even on Morning Live yet," she said.

She described herself and Mbuli basically being "a married couple" and how he would bring her coffee in the mornings.

"It didn't matter what we went through - here at Morning Live or at the SABC or wherever, it was always he and I. He walked through the door and somehow everything would just feel better. He said to me 'I keep coming here because I love working with you, I love this programme and I love the people I work with'. And that was Vuyo."

Tumi Mmotla 2013-05-20 12:09:10 PM
RIP baba Vuyo u are going to be missed
Antonia Nicolaisen 2013-05-20 12:18:21 PM
Got me all teary.SA lost an icon.Condolences to family,friends
Theresa Pickering 2013-05-20 12:31:42 PM
Since yesterday I have been shedding a tear for this man who used to be part of my morning for so many years. I can imagine how Leanne and Andile ( that woman, she knows the weather) feels. Vuyo, you are going to be missed by soooo many people. May God bring His peace to your family, friends and all who loved you. RIP my morning friend and sharp sharp!! Goodbye xx
susandejager 2013-05-20 12:36:09 PM
So sad!
Peter Boot 2013-05-20 12:38:01 PM
Such a shock, RIP my friend and may God bless and watch over those left, condolences to all your family members.
Nicky Andrews 2013-05-20 12:41:03 PM
Leanne, you really held it together this morning. It was very heartbreaking to watch Andile and the rest of the team as well. Felt the loss with you this morning. RIP Vuyo...and condolences to his family.
Pjk Choenyana 2013-05-20 12:43:11 PM
what a loss!Mr sharp sharp,always smiling and joking with Leann so sad
Florah Letsoalo 2013-05-20 12:50:17 PM
THANK GOD FOR THE LIFE OF VUYO PSALM 139 :V 16 SAID " YOUR EYES SAW MY INFORMED BODY. ALL DAYS ORDAINED FOR ME WERE WRITTEN IN YOUR BOOK BEFORE ONE OF THEM CAME TO BE." PEACE OF GOD SUSTAIN THE FAMILY. FLORAH
Karen Galloway 2013-05-20 12:50:58 PM
South Africa lost an icon... I was in tears this morning when Leanne, Andile and the others struggled to keep it together. Condolences to his family and friends, and also to his Morning Live "family". Rest in peace, Vuyo.
Ikhayalethu Theys 2013-05-20 12:55:43 PM
Hi Leanne . You really held it together. Wish you all the best and will pray for you. I'm still crying and I never got to meet Vuyo. Thinking of you.