Share

Egypt summons British envoy over criticism of Jazeera trial

Cairo - Egypt's foreign ministry on Sunday summoned the British ambassador over his criticism of prison sentences handed to three journalists from Qatari broadcaster Al Jazeera.

"What counts is the Egyptian people's confidence in the transparency and independence of the Egyptian judiciary," the foreign ministry said, calling Ambassador John Casson's comments "unacceptable interference".

"Egypt needs lessons from no one," it said.

A Cairo court on Saturday sentenced Australian journalist Peter Greste, Canadian Mohamed Fahmy and Egyptian producer Baher Mohamed to three years in prison for having broadcast "false" news and for having worked without the necessary permits.

They were accused of having supported the Muslim Brotherhood with their coverage, after then-army chief Abdel Fattah al-Sisi ousted the Brotherhood's president Mohamed Morsi in 2013.

After having attended on Saturday's court hearing, the ambassador critised the proceedings in a statement on his Facebook page.

"This case... has become a symbol of the basis for stability in the new Egypt," he said.

"The question today is whether this will be a fragile and temporary stability on the basis of suspending freedoms of media and expression and depriving individuals of their rights in the Egyptian constitution?

"I am concerned that today's ruling will undermine confidence in the basis of Egypt's stability, both in Egypt and abroad," he said.

Fahmy and Mohamed were immediately detained after the verdict on Saturday, but Greste was tried in absentia after being deported earlier this year.

The verdict sparked condemnation worldwide.

Canada urged Egypt to allow for Fahmy's immediate return to Canada, after he renounced his Egyptian nationality in order to be deported like his Australian colleague.

Washington said it was "deeply disappointed and concerned" by the trial's outcome.

We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
Who we choose to trust can have a profound impact on our lives. Join thousands of devoted South Africans who look to News24 to bring them news they can trust every day. As we celebrate 25 years, become a News24 subscriber as we strive to keep you informed, inspired and empowered.
Join News24 today
heading
description
username
Show Comments ()
Voting Booth
Should the Proteas pick Faf du Plessis for the T20 World Cup in West Indies and the United States in June?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Results
Yes! Faf still has a lot to give ...
67% - 952 votes
No! It's time to move on ...
33% - 465 votes
Vote
Rand - Dollar
18.80
+1.1%
Rand - Pound
23.49
+1.3%
Rand - Euro
20.10
+1.5%
Rand - Aus dollar
12.28
+1.0%
Rand - Yen
0.12
+2.8%
Platinum
923.40
-0.2%
Palladium
957.50
-3.3%
Gold
2,336.75
+0.2%
Silver
27.20
-0.9%
Brent Crude
89.01
+1.1%
Top 40
69,358
+1.3%
All Share
75,371
+1.4%
Resource 10
62,363
+0.4%
Industrial 25
103,903
+1.3%
Financial 15
16,161
+2.2%
All JSE data delayed by at least 15 minutes Iress logo
Editorial feedback and complaints

Contact the public editor with feedback for our journalists, complaints, queries or suggestions about articles on News24.

LEARN MORE