Black face, red face

Response to University Blackface Incident, case on going…

If a person from another racial group were to come to a wedding or traditional celebration dressed in the traditional attire of their colleague this would be admired and celebrated and has been witnessed by myself.  Couple this with a Culture day and you will find clothing and colours that are worn with pride at the office or school. Most of us look at our colleagues in admiration and not ridicule.

If I were to take a person’s circumstances of being a domestic ( dressing as one), focus on the colour of the domestic (painting my face black), and inserting packaging in my rear end to appear more voluptuous am I respecting the person, the job or race group? Am I saying that all domestics are black, have large rear ends or dress this way? Was it a joke? I guess you probably wouldn't pick on the domestic that dresses smartly, looks petite and is paid very well by her employees as that would not be funny?

Some on here are saying “it was a joke” – a joke is something that is funny, or with a punchline. SO are black maids, with large rear ends funny? The major point of contention is that some on here say it is racist.

I would go further and say that it is a lack of sensitivity, respect and understanding of those around us. Racist possibly due to the degradation of a nation of black females that have dedicated their life's to the “masters” that require them to come in at 6:00 am after taking 2 taxi’s to get there, make breakfast, send the children of to school, make lunch for them when they get home, cook, clean etc etc – and then pay them a pittance and expect them to be back in the morning.

If I cannot respect the vocation, the dedication and the person I shouldn't have the right to a privileged education, at a university of higher learning as seemingly the almost 20 years of being in the democracy has not taught me anything that a degree is going to teach me in 4 years!

Tom Tardis 2014-09-05 06:51:39 AM
"dedicated their life's to the masters that require them to come in at 6:00 am after taking 2 taxi’s to get there" - That sentence alone confirms you're an idiot. Nobody forced them to work
Yari Brunings 2014-09-05 06:56:26 AM
Guess what: all used car dealers are crooks, the Irish are all gingers and are thick as planks, Aussies wear hats with corks attached and are crude, the Scots are penny-pinchers and only wear kilts, all blonde women are stupid, all Indian people dance around trees, Dutch women wear silly hats and look like Smurfs, every German is a Nazi, all Israelis love carpet-bombing children, every Muslim wears a bomb-vest and has sex with a camel and all French people, irrespective of sex, are rude and obnoxious. There are so many stereotypes that we should get over it. Most aren't true but you will never change everyone's opinion or behaviour.It has nothing to do with race but people have and always will make fun of others because they are different. I fall in several categories and I really couldn't give a damn. Let's ask all those with the Afrikaans surname 'van' how they feel about all the jokes being told about them....
Neville Watson 2014-09-05 07:20:14 AM
I feel that this issue is a storm in a tea cup. I mean 7de Laan's Maria is the stereotype isn't she? Never the less you have put your point across eloquently and have made me pause to think again. Great letter.
Wehr Wulf 2014-09-05 07:48:49 AM
The industry of selective feigned indignation.
CraigJoseph 2014-09-05 08:02:11 AM
Insensitive - yes. Racist - until all forms of racism are addressed equally, I have no time for anything labelled racist in a "one way" society.
Andre Rossouw Jv Rensburg 2014-09-05 08:24:50 AM
Yes because if they did not have to work for the "white bad boss" they all would have become brain surgeons and lived a life of wealth.If all people fire the domestic worker working for them,what income would such a prson then have.Any domestic is free to not be a domestic worker but I gues all "Africans" want to be in the top 10 percent earners.
Andre Rossouw Jv Rensburg 2014-09-05 08:28:00 AM
O yes and I am waiting for the Indian community to open a "race case" against Leon Schuster for dressing up like an Indian in his movies.Come on uncle, have a sense of humor and all and all.
LizK 2014-09-05 09:51:38 AM
Many people really are taking the wrong approach to this incident and it really feels as if they are doing it intentionally, purely so that they *can* get upset. It is a fact that in South Africa, most domestic workers are black - this has absolutely nothing to do with racism. If I were to dress up as Beyonce, paining my face black would not be a racist move. I attended private dress up parties (and let's remember that these girls were also going to a *private* party) where men dressed up as stereotypical "dumb blondes". No one felt that all blonde women were disrespected, no one immediately falsely assumed that this meant that those guys lacked any sort of sensitivity towards blonde women and no blonde woman felt degraded. Another person dressed as a homeless guy - again, no lack of sensitivity, no disrespect, especially not since the guy is actually a fantastic person who regularly donates food and clothing to homeless people. And finally, of the 6 domestic workers who I know were shown the picture, all of them laughed and found it hilarious.
Lupo 2014-09-05 12:40:42 PM
Blah blah blah, get over yourself please! Get a job or something to do with your time please!