Where corruption began...

Before I start my article let’s get the following out of the way; the state of corruption in this country and under the ANC’s watch is on an unacceptable level. All those guilty of same should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law. All of them. There is nothing standing in the way of a progress of any country than corruption. My article however poses the question where corruption started and it aims to disprove the popular myth that it started when the ANC took over the country. I know, with no tertiary education I am not as educated as most commentators on this site. I may not be as articulate as most of you, but that per se should not invalidate my opinion, facts to the contrary should.

For the sake of this article and for the sake of objectivity, let us for a moment forget about the constitutional injustices of apartheid, we have listened to arguments on the latter ad nauseam and I do not want to bore you with another argument on how inhumane apartheid was. I do however want to tender the following proposition, to wit that the apartheid government was just as corrupt, no even more so than the ANC government. I would like to further my proposition by adding that the idea that the save for the injustices referred to in the beginning of this paragraph, that the apartheid government was competent is a popular myth. I cannot help myself, I need to quote the following from Eldrid Jones, "Legends die hard in the popular mind, while facts tend to languish in books". I believe that the latter quote may be the reason why some of us would not know some of the facts I will use in support of my argument.

I again tender my proposition as in the paragraph above, the apartheid government was just as corrupt, no even more so than the ANC government. I believe that my argument will be best articulated in a “Chappie wrapper, Did you know” – style. So here goes, but a few example:

·         Did you know that in 1984, Progressive Federal Party leader Frederik van Zyl Slabbert had received documents concerning oil sales to South Africa, allegedly reflecting corruption in the oil trade? These documents were handed to the then President PW Botha, but nothing came of it. Sounds familiar? To date nobody made noise about that.

·         Can you remember the 1978 murders of Robert and Cora Smit? To date there are people who will argue that they were silenced because they stumbled on secret overseas bank accounts that were leaked to the apartheid elite. If you read the investigations done by the Rand Daily Mail at that time, you will note that the erstwhile Minister of Finance Mr. Nico Diederichs had links to the said European accounts. Whatever came of this?

·         Now, one of the biggest modern day corruption scandals in South Africa is the arms deal. Did you know that this was not the first time South Africa was implicated in such a scandal? You have no knowledge of the about R378bn spent to fund secret defence projects and procure weapons? All of this happened with limited oversight from the then auditor-general. Unlike today, this was never subjected to public scrutiny.

·         Did you also know that contrary to the popular myth criminals such as Radovan Krejcir is not the first international criminals who wanted to call South Africa their home? In fact did you know that back in 1993 FW de Klerk’s cabinet approved a new residence permit for someone like Vito Palazzolo (this guy had huge ties with Italian organised crime organisations), subsequent to a National Party member being convicted in 1990 for improperly securing a residence for Mr Palazzolo. You did not know that, did you?

·        Did you know that nearly 100,000 elephants were allegedly slaughtered during the civil wars in Angola and Mozambique? This appeared to benefit the leadership of Unita and possibly a small group of senior SADF officials. The post-1994 Kumbleben commission of inquiry found substantial proof of SADF involvement through a front company, but no action was taken.

·         Did you know that the apartheid death squads were allocated something like R116m? Expenditure of about R45m was found to be improperly authorised with little consequence.

The above is just some facts for those who would like to believe that in 1994, a beast of corruption was awaken. These are few examples, which some of us conveniently forget and some may not even have known.  That does not mean that it never occurred, it was just very well covered up. If news24 publish this, I would love to see your level headed replies to the above allegations.  Whatever happened to the public protectors investigations in the apartheid looters claims? Like in the case above, nothing?

I want Pres Zuma to stand trial for allegations against him, I concede as I did in the beginning that corruption in South Africa should be ended and that it is wrong. I do so, with the sincere hope that those on this site who like to romanticise apartheid as an efficient regime will also come to realise that their idea of what apartheid was, is and always was a MYTH.

Guy M Artist 2014-08-08 08:10:51 AM
So because the NATS were thieving lying trolls, it's OK for the ANC to be?
Emma Sanderson 2014-08-08 08:22:27 AM
I agree corruption is at an unacceptable level and detrimental to us all as the budget is not being used to uplift the country through better education, hospital care and services etc. No one is under any false illusion that previous governments were not guilty of corruption. Apartheid aside though the very real difference is that the previous governments ran the country much better. Departments and public institutions were clean and well managed. Public transportation was safe and reliable. All the ANC had to do was learn from existing ways and greatly expand to include those same services for all and maintain. Sadly they failed to do so. Knowledgeable professionals were retrenched and replaced with incompetent pals. Little or no skills exchange took place. The very real failure of our public hospitals to even manage to produce clean sheets is a true reflection of the sad state of negligence that this country has crumbled to. Can our health minister explain this one to me? It is not rocket science to manage an in house laundry to produce clean sheets. The administrators are so incompetent that they don't even know that they are incompetent. Why do they spend hundreds of thousands on maintaining gardens (jobs for pals) instead of using the funds for life saving equipment and medicine? The standard of education in this country is appalling. All the ANC had to do was take the existing model C schools and teachers training colleges and expand. I could go on and on ....
sxp 2014-08-08 08:33:35 AM
Corruption just became a LOT worse under ANC rule. The sold everyone a huge lie in order to take power. This is the evil of the ANC.
NormalCitizen 2014-08-08 08:34:10 AM
Did you know your first 2 cases named were 6 years apart? I can name 2 corruption acts committed every 6 hours by the ANC. There might have been a previous arms deal scandal back in those years...but guess what? When the country needed to be defended...we had the vehicles and manpower and weapons? Today we can't even ASSIST another country, let alone defend ours. tl;dr You are right, corruption didn't start with the ANC. It just flourished under the ANC. 10 fold if not more
Leigh-Rose Jenkins 2014-08-08 08:48:37 AM
Where are my comments!?!?!
Charl Moolman 2014-08-08 09:02:42 AM
Everybody knows the previous government was corrupt, this is nothing new. But wasn't the anc supposed to be the saviors? Some of your cadres are even approaching sainthood. At least we can see the faults of the Nats, your comrades cannot, or won't. And remember one thing: A huge part of the stolen money comes from the taxpayer, and you know who that is, right? Well, let me give you a hint. They are not the ones stealing, but they are the ones paying for services that are not delivered, and they are the ones who are being discriminated against. And every year, after all the thieves didn't get punished but actually rewarded, the tax payer gets told he has to pay more.
Theo Koopman 2014-08-08 09:46:38 AM
At least our country was a MUCH better and safer country to live in..Our pOlice Force were a respected calling by community and THEMSelves..Education and Health were Highly appreciated and respected in it`s profession too..wHAT AN AWESOME pLACE WAS JOHANNESBURG CBD..just to name a few...AND NOW???IF U WANT TO SEE WHAT HELL LOOKS LIKE...GO TO hILLBROW...just one of the ANC side affects of Corruption
Net Crunchie 2014-08-08 09:53:07 AM
Did you know - that during apartheid, infrastructure, roads and service delivery were maintained and kept in a working condition?
Net Crunchie 2014-08-08 09:54:57 AM
Did you know - that during apartheid, the crime rate was lower?
Net Crunchie 2014-08-08 10:01:52 AM
Does'nt matter how hard you try to hide and justify current incompetence, the status quo will remain