4 injured in pit bull attack

Johannesburg - Four people were injured when they were attacked by dogs in Heidelberg, Gauteng police said on Thursday.

A newspaper distributor, a gardener, and two neighbours were attacked by two pit bulls on Wednesday afternoon, police spokesperson Thivhulawi Tshilate said.

The dogs came out through an unlocked door and seriously injured the distributor while he was putting a newspaper in the post box.

"He was bitten all over his body, especially on his arms and legs," Tshilate said.

The dogs then seriously injured a gardener, who was attacked when he went to help the man.

"He was bitten on his left leg and arms," Tshilate said.

Two neighbours, an elderly man and a youth, were also attacked by the dogs when they tried to help the two men.

The youth was slightly injured and police were unable to confirm the extent of the elderly man's injuries.

The two men were taken to Heidelberg Hospital for medical treatment.

Police, who received a complaint about the attack, managed to subdue one of the dogs and took it to the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals for safety.

The owner of the other dog took it back inside the yard.

Read more on: spca johannesburg animals
Hetty Oliver 2014-07-31 08:00:48 PM
They will do it again and again. They need to be put down unfortunately.
Ronel Sharp 2014-07-31 08:09:25 PM
Don't just blame the dogs. Kids might have been teasing them just before ihe incident. That could b readon for aggression. My pit bulls never would have done this.
Beryl-Ann du Plessis 2014-07-31 08:28:01 PM
I don't quite understand the last paragraph. Are there two different owners?
Santiago Rabellini 2014-07-31 08:34:02 PM
No. Only 1 dog taken and the other is back with owner. Not all dogs are alike, unfortunate. Ive seen the photos. These dogs must be put down
Andro Gagiano 2014-07-31 08:37:31 PM
Never a picture and always a pitbull. Show me proof that I was a "pitbull". Do not always believe what you read most of these "pitbull" stories are not even about "pitbulls". Stupid people that make them out to be monsters.
Anthony Richardson 2014-07-31 08:48:22 PM
Something must have provoked this attack. I have two dogs, a miniature pinscher and a "pibble" (pit bull for the uninformed!) The pinscher is the more agressive of the two! Probably find the newspaper delivery guy was or had teased the dog. Don't always blame the dogs for attacks
Jamill Ahmed 2014-07-31 08:50:06 PM
My shepards were teased by people passing many times GOD forbid they attack them people must stop teasing dogs then biting will not happen so often
Anthony Richardson 2014-07-31 09:06:33 PM
I would trust my pibble with my kids before I would trust a cocker spaniel or a poodle!
Carol Coetzee 2014-07-31 09:11:54 PM
Very unfortunate, hope those injured get better soon. I really feel for these animals, they suffer so badly because of how they are treated. Horrible for all those involved.
Hauke Liefferink 2014-07-31 09:15:59 PM
Pitbulls are bred to kill like goldfish are bred to be... you guessed it, GOLD. Pitbulls are wonderful pets most days. They kill only a few times during their lives.