9 of 36 SIU investigations complete
Cape Town - A quarter of the Special Investigating Unit (SIU) investigations proclaimed by President Jacob Zuma over the past six years have been completed, the presidency announced on Friday.
In an update on the state of the 36 proclamations he signed since 2009 - a total that includes five extensions to proclamations - it said nine investigations were completed and the final reports submitted to the presidency.
The remaining 27 investigations were still ongoing.
Among those completed was the SIU investigation regarding SABC personnel, which included undisclosed or unauthorised conflicts of interest with service providers.
"Twenty-eight criminal cases have been referred to the police, nine for fraud and 19 for the contravention of the Companies Act... In addition, 464 disciplinary cases have been referred to the SABC for recommended action."
On the SIU investigation into under-spending or misspending by the arts and culture department during the period 2007 to 2009, in the run-up to the 2010 World Cup, the presidency said seven criminal cases, involving a total of R2.4m, had been handed to the police.
"Acknowledgements of debt have been obtained to the total value of R351 000."
Other completed investigations included those into the finances of various municipalities, including the George, Stellenbosch, Oudtshoorn and Swellendam local municipalities in the Western Cape.
Investigations still ongoing included SIU probes into the affairs of the SA Social Security Agency, the SA Police Service, the State Information Technology Agency, the SA Post Office, and the departments of rural development and land reform, and water affairs.