ANC not invited to Marikana commemoration
Johannesburg - None of the officials from the ANC attended the Marikana rally held in Wonderkop on Saturday, the ruling party said.
"[The] ANC was not invited by organisers to the Marikana anniversary today," said spokesperson Zizi Kodwa.
The event was to commemorate the 34 people, mostly striking mineworkers, who were shot dead by police in clashes at Lonmin's platinum mine on 16 August 2012.
Ten people, including two policemen and two security guards were killed in the preceding week.
The ANC did not attend the one-year commemoration last year.
The party released a statement on Saturday saying the day should be used to remember all those who were killed in the unrest.
"We solemnly remember the 44 people who lost their lives in the 10 days leading up to and including 16 August 2012," Kodwa said in a statement.
Saturday is the two year anniversary of the shooting.
Attending the event was EFF leader Julius Malema , DA Parliamentary leader Mmusi Maimane and Cope leader Mosiuoa Lekota. Kodwa said the Farlam Commission of Inquiry, established by President Jacob Zuma, should conclude with its investigation into the shooting.
"It is our hope that the [commission]... will soon conclude its business and provide much needed answers to our country and the world on what transpired on those fateful days in Marikana," he said.
The commission, chaired by retired Judge Ian Farlam, is investigating the deaths of the 44 people that were killed.
The ANC also urged people, particularly within the mining industry to recommit themselves to resolving the pressing challenges within the sector.
"A commitment borne of the determination that such a
tragedy never recurs," said Kodwa.