News24

Accused Reiger Park toddler killer to appear

2014-08-15 07:30

Johannesburg - A man arrested in connection with the murder of three-year-old Cuburne van Wyk is expected to appear in the Boksburg Magistrate's Court on Friday.

The man was arrested in Germiston on Wednesday by metro police officers.

Cuburne's body was discovered on Saturday by a passer-by at a mine dump in Reiger Park.

Police said he died as a result of multiple head injuries and burn wounds.

He disappeared on 6 August while he was playing outside with his siblings.

At the time, police said they were looking for a man who they said could help with the investigation into the boy's disappearance.

This was the second incident of crime in the area against children in a space of two months.

Four-year-old Taegrin Morris was killed during a hijacking in Reiger Park last month.

Hijackers who had just forced his family out of their vehicle drove off with him still hanging out of the car, trapped by his seat belt.

The hijackers abandoned the car about 8km away, along with the child who had died as a result.

SAPA
Read more on:    johannesburg crime

More Stories in South Africa

«Back