News24

AfriForum: Medunsa students getting death threats

2014-08-27 20:23

Johannesburg - Students who refused to boycott classes at Medunsa in Ga-Rankuwa had received death threats, AfriForum Youth said on Wednesday.

"Innocent students get death threats on social media, in smses and on campus," spokesperson Henk Maree said in a statement.

He said racist remarks were directed at "non-black" students who did not want to participate in the boycott.

"I was under the impression that the strike was over but I have been receiving complaints of death threats from students."

The group had written to Higher Education Minister Blade Nzimande and the SA Human Rights Commission calling for their help.

"AfriForum Youth demands a probe, action, as well as the implementation of a plan to ensure the safety of students at Medunsa."

The university was not immediately available for comment.

The institution was closed on 6 August after students had been boycotting lectures for about two weeks.

They demanded the removal of certain lecturers alleged to be failing students. The students were also believed to be unhappy about renaming the campus Sefako Makgatho.

Management said the decision to close the campus was informed by the stubborn behaviour of both the student representative council and the student body.

It was re-opened the following day after university management and student representatives reached an agreement, ending the boycott.

SAPA
Read more on:    afriforum youth medunsa education

More Stories in South Africa

«Back
Ad:Funeral Cover from R35/m