Arms deal inquiry failed - R2K

Pretoria - The Seriti Commission of Inquiry into the arms deal has failed to act fairly and consistently, the Right2Know Campaign said on Thursday.

"We have seen huge amounts of evidence being kept away from the public and hostility towards whistle-blowers and critics of the deal," it said on Thursday.

The commission, chaired by Judge Willie Seriti, was appointed by President Jacob Zuma three years ago to investigate alleged corruption in the 1999 multi-billion arms deal.

The campaign's Gauteng spokesperson Julie Reid told reporters in Pretoria that the campaign supported arms deal critics former ANC MP Andrew Feinstein, author Paul Holden, and researcher Hennie van Vuuren.

The three, who had been expected to testify at the commission, on Thursday announced their withdrawal from all participation.

They said they could no longer co-operate with an institution that "is [so] deeply compromised that its primary outcome will be to cover up".

Reid announced the launch of the campaign's new website.

All evidence submitted to the commission could be downloaded on the website.

"This evidence represents only a small part of what requires serious investigation by the commission and it is up to the commission and not up to the public to test this evidence," she said.

"We also believe that the Seriti commission is withholding this information."

The evidence on the website was already in the public domain, although it was only a fraction of the documents produced in other investigations.

Reid accused the commission of refusing to make many of the documents public, or use the evidence to cross-examine witnesses defending the deal.

"The decision by the commission to not make these documents public is unjustified and unfair," she said.

WrefordWhite 2014-08-28 07:53:56 PM
Willie Seriti is a Zuma deployee so WTF do you expect.
sxp 2014-08-28 08:09:39 PM
Yip, yet another ANC c*&*(&*(&up!!
Mark Becker 2014-08-28 08:13:15 PM
Any further evidence we have descended into a banana republic look no further.
Erna Westdyk 2014-08-28 08:20:38 PM
Three years of wasted time and money. How come the people were able to predict this but the politicians didn't see this coming? Any inquiry set up by the president is doomed to fail.
Jaydee Loubser 2014-08-28 08:32:37 PM
The day Zuma announced this commission he knew that it will fail and that it will cost a huge amount of money. Seriti is not a truthful judge and Zuma knew he was "for sale". Seriti is spineless and will go down in history like such. A lot of people refused to work with him in the past. He can close down this commission and go and collect his first prize of R 50 million. Thanks to Zuma and the zanc!!!!!
Garrick Dunstan 2014-08-28 08:33:19 PM
Jacob Zuma set up the arms deal enquiry to investigate himself?
Jimmy Mashabela 2014-08-28 09:08:31 PM
From now on only courts should be used to test evidences discovered during investgations, no more commission of enquiries should be setup; just a waste of money without coming out with any truth. Zuma will never appoint any person who'll not take his instructions...only Madonsela can be seen as a appointment blunder by Zuma regime because she does not take a s***t.
Thato Pasta Mollo 2014-08-29 02:18:38 AM
Honestly... What did we expect??
Arthur Salvado 2014-08-29 08:03:03 AM
Why waste money. The truth will NEVER be told otherwise the government would collapse. There are so many (suspected) hands in the cookie jar that it's frightening. Truth can NEVER be told. Thieves get away with it again.
Jacqui Daane Van Rensburg 2014-08-29 12:05:21 PM
I think one is safer with a pit of vipers than with this government.