Cape Town man linked to several rapes
Cape Town - A 25-year-old man, who was arrested in Khayelitsha on a charge of abduction, now faces several charges of rape, Western Cape police said on Friday.
Lieutenant Colonel Andre Traut said police believed the man had been committing the rapes since April 2010 in the Khayelitsha area.
"On September 19, a young girl was seen in the company of a man, walking towards a bush in the area," Traut said.
"He was approached by community members and, after attempting to drag the young victim with him, he fled the scene alone."
Investigations led to the man's arrest on September 20.
"Our investigations into several rapes of young girls aged between two-and nine-years, as far back as early 2010, resulted in this man being regarded as a suspect," Traut said.
The man appeared in court Khayelitsha on Friday morning and remains in police custody.