Charges laid against top NPA officials
Johannesburg - Criminal charges have been laid against three NPA senior officials, the prosecuting authority confirmed on Sunday.
"Yes, it is indeed correct," National Prosecuting Authority spokesperson Nathi Mncube said in reply to an SMS from Sapa.
Former acting NPA head Nomgcobo Jiba, director of public prosecutions for north Gauteng Sibongile Mzinyathi and head of the NPA's specialised commercial crimes unit Lawrence Mrwebi were facing charges of perjury.
City Press newspaper reported that the charges followed court findings made about the NPA's leadership last year.
This was after rights group Freedom Under Law successfully applied to overturn the dropping of criminal charges against former crime intelligence boss Richard Mdluli.
Mdluli is expected back in court on Monday, reportedly on charges which included kidnapping, assault and intimidation.
Mncube confirmed he was expected to appear in the Palm Ridge Magistrate's Court but would not say on what charges.
According to the newspaper, National Director of Public Prosecutions (NDPP) Mxolisi Nxasana has written to President Jacob Zuma asking him to suspend Jiba, Mrwebi and Mzinyathi, pending an inquiry into their fitness to hold office.
Nxasana himself could be facing suspension, pending an inquiry. This was after reports emerged that he had apparently not been given a security clearance for the job as NPA boss because of past brushes with the law.
Earlier this week, the presidency said Zuma had notified Nxasana that he was considering suspending him with full pay.