Dept: SA man jailed in Equatorial Guinea getting help

Johannesburg - The international relations department on Sunday said it was helping a South African man imprisoned in Equatorial Guinea.

"We are aware of the case and are rendering consular assistance to him and his family," spokesperson Clayson Monyela said.

The Sunday Times reported that Daniel Janse Van Rensburg, 49, had not been allowed to leave the country and had been in and out of the Black Beach prison since a business deal went sour last year.

Monyela confirmed Van Rensburg was in prison.

"There is a process underway," he said.

Van Rensburg apparently had a dispute with Equatorial Guinea businessman, Gabriel Bela Angabi, over a R30m aviation contract. He was arrested when he flew to Malabo last year to resolve the matter.

The newspaper reported that Angabi wanted R1m from Van Rensburg.

Van Rensburg's family told the Sunday Times they had not heard from him since a letter was sent to his South African business partner on 3 July. In the letter Van Rensburg said he had contracted malaria and typhoid in prison.

Meanwhile, Victor Manuel Ela Ela, a secretary at Equatorial Guinea's embassy in Pretoria, said Van Rensburg would be allowed to leave the country once he had resolved the matter.

"If he is not in South Africa by now it is because he has systematically failed to keep his word."

Thando Tshabangu 2014-08-24 08:21:30 PM
Black beach prison... eish its by the sea side and when the tide is high the cells are flooded with water.
Menzi Mnandi Phewa 2014-08-24 09:09:17 PM
They must keep him there he is probably a drug dealer and infected with Ebola.
Michaela Hana-Lessle 2014-08-24 09:41:01 PM
Fannie, u talking rubbish. Plenty of non-whites in trouble overseas and also run to our government to bale them out! Get your facts straight
Helen Sanya 2014-08-24 10:31:38 PM
Menzi, you speak so ignorantly!
Willem Els 2014-08-25 05:23:36 AM
I spent three months in Malabo in 2011. I found it the most corrupt and cruel country in Africa that I have been so far,27 of them, you do not want to go to Black Beach piiso
Willem Els 2014-08-25 05:23:36 AM
Willem Els 2014-08-25 05:23:37 AM
Willem Els 2014-08-25 05:26:37 AM
Prison...not many people get out of there alive, and those who do are scarred for life, both physically and mentally.....iI believe the name Obiang must feature somewhere in that businessman's name...family of Herr Fuhrer the President for life....