Govt condemns spate of women killings
Johannesburg - Government on Monday expressed sadness at the recent spate of killings and abuse of women and children in the country.
"These heinous criminal activities are strongly condemned and law enforcement agencies will continue to enforce the rule of law," Communications Minister Faith Muthambi said in a statement.
"However, government alone cannot completely address this scourge as it is a societal issue and requires an even more strengthened effort and synergy by all South Africans."
A woman was found stabbed to death in Bryanston, Johannesburg, on Saturday.
On Sunday, ER24 spokesperson Werner Vermaak said the woman, believed to be in her late 30s, died after being stabbed about 50 times.
Beeld newspaper reported that the victim told a woman who had stopped to help her that her husband had stabbed her. No arrests had been made yet.
An 18-year-old woman was raped and murdered in Tshing, Ventersdorp, North West, on Friday. A 24-year-old man was arrested and expected to appear in the Ventersdorp Magistrate's Court on Monday.
According to The Times newspaper, the incident was believed to be "corrective rape" because the woman was a lesbian.
A 14-year-old boy from the Waterworks informal settlement, south of Johannesburg, was arrested for allegedly strangling his mother to death.
The boy reportedly confessed the crime to his aunt on Thursday.
The teenager told his aunt his mother had beaten him and poured boiling water on him. He was treated for burns.
Muthambi said that despite the country's laws, gender and sexual orientation-based violence continued.
"Government is reiterating President Jacob Zuma’s call to society, communities, inter-faith groups, business, and every sector of this country’s community to work with government to tackle social ills," she said.
"It is crimes of this nature that ruin the strides
that we have made as a country in building a just society."