Lotto scammers caught in Kempton Park

Johannesburg - Two men were arrested in Kempton Park on Wednesday for allegedly defrauding a woman in a lottery scam, the Hawks said.

A relative of the victim alerted police, spokesperson Colonel McIntosh Polela said.

The 61-year-old Eastern Cape woman went to Johannesburg to meet people who told her she had won R57.4m in the UK lottery.

"The pensioner apparently refused to believe members of her family who told her that this was a scam," Polela said.

A Hawks team went to the hotel where the meeting was to take place.

On her arrival at the hotel, the woman was told by a so-called lottery official to pay R57 000 to him so he could negotiate a tax discount on her winnings.

Before her departure from Mthatha, the woman had already paid R8 350 into a bank account, purportedly fees required for her to claim her winnings.

In the Johannesburg hotel room the woman and her daughter, who accompanied her, were shown stacks of "cash" in a portable safe.

"In fact, these were papers neatly covered with R100 notes on each side to look like real cash," Polela said.

One man was arrested in the room, and his accomplice at reception. Both were foreign nationals.

They would appear in the Kempton Park Magistrate's Court on Friday on fraud charges.

Read more on: johannesburg
DrMosale Magwele 2012-08-01 10:41:35 PM
U wud think by now people wud b wiser! How do u win a competition u never entered
percy.m.kubheka 2012-08-01 11:08:11 PM
Really now how can u expect 2 win da lottor if u hv never Played
Awebby1 2012-08-01 11:08:17 PM
The scammers won a free ticket to stay in "5* hotel" for 15 years! Scammers also never entered the competition. HAA HEE HAA HEE
Phillip M Seopa 2012-08-01 11:11:35 PM
Why most of Nigerian nationals that are in SA are always involved in criminal elements?
Kagiso Spat Truthtell 2012-08-01 11:33:27 PM
Thats all Nigerians bring to SA...fraud, brothels, drugs eish these ppl must go bk to their country. We should be like Australia, anybody who comes here must explain exactly wat they are gonna do and how long will they stay and their records checked. If they dont have any skills, or any intention to study they must not enter this country.
Sheik Mohammad 2012-08-01 11:42:24 PM
Lets guess where they from.
Mzwa Chilliza 2012-08-01 11:44:40 PM
The Republic of South Africa is a playgroung for all types of criminals from Foreign countries,it is all because of the system that our government uses.Do you think these criminals would try their luck in Qatar,UAE(Arab countries).In those countries you don't get away with anything.If our country was strict enough,we wouldn't experiencing all these type of things,but what can we do.Our government is doing nothing with the crime,all the government does,is to put more money in their pockets,klaar.I just hate the way this contry is governed.
Keith Ngobeni 2012-08-02 12:46:40 AM
It's this idiots criminals called NIGERIANS, they used to send me this fraud fake British lottery e-mails informing me about the British lottery I have won, they didn't know that I live in the UK they even gave me a British mobile number and landline to call and claim my winnings, I printed the email and took it to the local police station and in few days time the police called me and let me know that they put a trap and arrested 10 Nigerians fraud syndicate who sent me those lottery scam emails.
Brent Goldwyer 2012-08-02 12:55:20 AM