News24

Luke Tibbetts case goes to high court

2014-09-03 23:09

Johannesburg - The Sophiatown Magistrate's Court has transferred to the South Gauteng High Court in Johannesburg the case of a man accused of pointing a firearm in the shooting that left a 3-year-old dead, the National Prosecuting Authority said on Wednesday.

The trial of Keenan Mokwena, 28, would be heard on 2 March next year.

Mokwena was denied bail last month.

During his testimony last month, Sergeant Diedelof Fourie told the court that Mokwena and Lindray Khakhu, 24, accused of shooting Luke Tibbetts, had an argument on the day of the shooting.

"He [Mokwena] then left and came back with a firearm which he then pointed at him [Khakhu]", said Fourie.

Khakhu allegedly retaliated and fired shots at Mokwena, who was driving a vehicle at the time. A stray bullet hit Tibbetts, who was riding in a nearby car with his mother.

He died in hospital on 8 August after being on life support machines.

Mokwena was shot in his right arm during the incident. He was taken to a hospital and treated and discharged.

Mokwena opened a case of attempted murder against Khakhu, while Khakhu's friends opened a case of attempted murder against Mokwena.

Mokwena's lawyer, Omphile Kedijang, said the case was only opened against his client because he had opened a case against Khakhu.

"He was shot at and is a complainant in the matter. He wants justice done," said Kedijang.

Khakhu was denied bail in the same court on Friday.

He was arrested after people who witnessed the shooting identified him and reported the matter to the police.

SAPA
Read more on:    johannesburg crime

More Stories in South Africa

«Back
Ad:Metropolitan Family Funeral Plan from R36 p.m.