MEC shocked at Reiger Park boy kidnapping

Johannesburg - Gauteng MEC for community safety Sizakele Nkosi-Malobane on Saturday said she was shocked by the kidnapping of a three-year-old in the Ramaphosa informal settlement near Reiger Park.

"This emerging trend of kids falling victim to atrocious crimes is worrying and I appeal to community members to exert vigilance and report these incidence to the police, even do it anonymously in the event that they fear for their safety," she said in a statement.

She said she was convinced that the special task team set up by the police will find the boy and ensure those responsible face the might of the law.

On Friday, police said a search was underway for a male who was last seen with the boy.

The boy, Curburne Lavone van Wyk, was last seen with Katleho Phoku known as Chicken.

The boy was allegedly kidnapped while he was playing outside near his home on Wednesday evening, Lt Kwenzakwakhe Ngobese said on Friday.

His parents reported him missing on Thursday morning.

The boy was still believed to be in the area.

"We received information that someone had seen the boy in the area," said Ngobese.

A case of kidnapping had been opened and police were investigating.

Read more on: johannesburg abductions
lionelskrieger 2014-08-09 11:21:33 PM
Where was the parents. The kid wasnt kidnapped violently from the loving care of family, they only discovered later he was missing.
lacrimosewolf 2014-08-09 11:22:19 PM
Not sure if this is the same story I heard on radio news earlier today. On that bulletin the abducted child has epilepsy and needs medication. As others have noted, it would be useful to have a pic of the child. In more evolved countries a manhunt would have been mobilised by now, especially for a missing child ........
Djembe Ndebele 2014-08-10 01:43:18 AM
No comments wow! It doesn't bother whites! DA fan club are like sheep crossing the road..
Jack Thomas 2014-08-10 06:11:46 AM
MEC is shocked? That's about all you will get out of this cadre, if they were doing their job properly then the security around the area would have been stepped up! Ffs they haven't even arrested the perpetrators from the first incident which took place about a month ago! Useless
Jack Thomas 2014-08-10 06:13:37 AM
Djembe if you cared so much yourself you would have commented about the article, not the DA
Anthoula Joshua 2014-08-10 06:44:08 AM
Another innocent child Yes, you do not leave a 3 year old alone playing outside. That still does not give anyone the right though to kidnap or hurt the child. A photograph of the child in these cases would help speed up finding the child.
Erna Westdyk 2014-08-10 06:50:11 AM
Sure, go on condemning. Horrible crimes against children have been going on for years! You condemn, probe and yell everytime it happens; then all is quiet till the next time! Useless government and people.
Su-yann Slaters 2014-08-10 06:59:33 AM
Shocked?ag come on MEC you will just go out to the family and pay your "respects" and tomorrow it happens again! We do report the crimes its because its not on your "high profile case list" 3 weeks in rough 3 boys had been murdered in our communities around gauteng, This boys body was found :( yesterday Rip Cuburne Van Wyk, Teagran Morris, Luke Tibbetts.
Erna Westdyk 2014-08-10 07:06:19 AM
Just on the news - the body of a 3 year old child has been found at a mine. Happy Djembe? If you always want to bring up race - who do you think is responsible?
Jonathan Paul Marais 2014-08-10 07:11:56 AM
Shocked??? Really? This goverment is pathetic. Crime is raging out of control but their stats the they get from we dont know says its decreased. CHILDREN ARE BEING KIDNAPPED AND MURDERED!!!!