MJC urges UN to help stop Islamic State
Cape Town - The Muslim Judicial Council has urged the United Nations to intervene and stop the atrocities committed by Islamic State militants in Iraq and Syria.
The MJC told the Cape Times that it “unequivocally condemned” the murders of civilians in the countries.
This comes after the mass murder of 770 Iraqis who were captured from a former US military facility in June, AP reported.
The al-Qaeda-breakaway posted graphic photos in mid-June that appeared to show its gunmen massacring scores of Iraqi soldiers after loading the captives onto flatbed trucks and then forcing them to lie face-down in a shallow ditch, their arms tied behind their backs.
The group also released a video on Tuesday of US journalist Steven Sotloff being beheaded. US officials confirmed its authenticity on Wednesday, Reuters reported. President Barack Obama vowed to "degrade and destroy" the group.
The UN’s top human rights body announced earlier this week that it will open an investigation into suspected crimes committed by the Islamic State.
Its aim would be to provide the Human Rights Council with evidence on atrocities committed in Iraq, which could be used as part of any international war crimes prosecution.
Meanwhile, the Claremont Main Road Mosque said it would dedicate this Friday’s prayers to denouncing IS’s murders and will hold a silent vigil afterwards in Claremont Main Road.