Snake-snapping owner killed by pet Cobra

Johannesburg - A snake collector died when his Red Spitting Cobra spat in his face in Grahamstown, Eastern Cape police said on Monday.

Captain Mali Govender said the snake attacked while the 29-year-old man was taking photos of it on Sunday.

A friend was with him and called the paramedics. He was treated at the scene, but died shortly afterwards, she said.

Govender said it was not immediately clear how the poison entered his body.

He had a collection of 89 snakes, ranging from vipers to cobras, and had a permit to keep the reptiles at his house.

Environmental affairs officials would visit the man's house to determine who should take responsibility for the snakes, Govender said.

Read more on: port elizabeth animals
OZNOB 2011-09-19 11:13:44 PM
I THINK that this guy got complacent as one cannot be too careful when handling snakes
Andre Michau 2011-09-19 11:17:02 PM
It is highly unlikely, imo, that a red spitting cobra (Naja pallida) would cause quick death in a relatively healthy adult human, let alone dying "shortly after" being spat at/on. More probable the person had a heart attack or some serious underlying illness.
me 2011-09-20 06:05:51 AM
It is snake keepers/collectors like this victim who "milk" the repile's venom for the sole purpose of having antivenin manufactured. So next time any of you hear of a random snakebite, think back about your name calling. It is people like this victim that are "responsible" for saving the lives of snakebite victims..... Catch a wake up YOU morons!!
Mzungu 2011-09-20 06:51:47 AM
Poor guy, nothing but a freak accident. Condolences to the family
Ixian 2011-09-20 06:53:56 AM
"You're a pig!" "No I'm not, you're a bigger pig!" "You're such a gay pig!" "You're such an ugly gay pig I wouldn't even eat your bacon." Come on kids, grow up. Some of your comments are really juvenile.
Bokke 2011-09-20 06:56:00 AM
I will never keep a snake in my house, whether it is dead, alive or even a toy...... NEVER IN MY HOUSE!!!! If it sneaks in, I will kill it, if I can't SPCA!!!!
Mzungu 2011-09-20 07:01:03 AM
"The snake spat him in his eye and mouth. He had a bad reaction to the venom and also suffered from chronic asthma"
Braam Coetzee 2011-09-20 07:04:12 AM
A job well done, sorry to hear
dee-k 2011-09-20 07:31:32 AM
Words cannot begin to describe how I feel, I love snakes as well. This is an accident. It should not have happened.
eisan 2011-09-20 07:48:57 AM
may his soul rest in peace.