News24

Westbury shooting case postponed

2014-08-07 19:26

Johannesburg - The case against a man accused of pointing a firearm in a shooting that left a 3-year-old boy critically wounded was postponed in the Newlands Magistrate's Court in Sophiatown on Thursday.

Magistrate Ivy Serei postponed the case to 12 August to allow the State to gather further evidence and for "community tension to calm down".

Keenan Mokwena, 28, would remain in custody.

Three-year-old Luke Tibbetts was critically wounded in the shooting on Saturday evening.

The court heard that Mokwena previously faced a charge of fraud in 2008 but had only been fined.

Prosecutor Kobus Ehlers told Serei that Mokwena should be denied bail as the community was very emotional about the shooting.

"Community tensions are very high at the moment," he said.

He requested a postponement because evidence was outstanding.

However, Omphile Kedijang, for Mokwena, said community members had gathered in protest ahead of Mokwena's appearance, outside the court, and that his client should get bail.

He was also not aware of any outstanding police evidence.

"Police went to my client's house yesterday [Wednesday] and did not find anything, Kedijang said.

"He is a victim in the matter."

Mokwena and Tibbetts were travelling in the area in separate vehicles when they were hit by stray bullets. They were taken to nearby hospitals.

He was shot in his right arm and was treated and discharged.

Lindray Khakhu, 24, was arrested at the weekend for allegedly shooting and wounding Tibbetts.

On Tuesday, he appeared in the same court.

The court heard that these were not the only charges Khakhu faced.

He faced three other charges of attempted murder for a separate incident.

The cases were pending before the high court, prosecutor Vincent Mochabela said.

He was also expected to appear in court on 12 August, but according to Warrant Officer Gordon Billing, Mokwena and Khakhu would appear separately.

Khakhu was arrested after people who witnessed the shooting identified him and reported the matter to the police.

He would remain in custody.

SAPA

Read more on:    johannesburg crime

More Stories in South Africa

«Back
Ad:Metropolitan Family Funeral Plan from R36 p.m.