News24

Yengeni drunk driving case back in court

2014-09-05 05:37

Cape Town - The drunk driving case against African National Congress national executive committee member Tony Yengeni is expected to continue in the Cape Town Magistrate's Court on Friday.

During his last appearance, attorney Waheed Badrodien said representations could not be submitted until more details of the charges had been furnished by prosecutor Adiel Jansen.

Badrodien said he had received details, but additional information was needed for a private forensic expert to complete a report. The expert's report would accompany the representations, he said.

Yengeni has not yet pleaded to charges of drunk driving and reckless and negligent driving.

As an alternative to the drunk driving charge, Yengeni is alleged to have driven with a blood-alcohol level of 0.25%, five times the legal limit of 0.05.

Yengeni was arrested in August last year after City of Cape Town law enforcement officials saw him allegedly driving his Maserati erratically in the Cape Town CBD.

SAPA
Read more on:    tony yengeni cape town

More Stories in South Africa

«Back
Ad:Metropolitan Family Funeral Plan from R36 p.m.