Yengeni drunk driving case resumes
Cape Town - The drunken driving case against African National Congress national executive committee member Tony Yengeni will continue in the Cape Town Magistrate's Court on Tuesday.
In June, the ANC heavyweight said he was hoping that drunken and reckless driving charges against him would be withdrawn.
Yengeni, a member of the ANC national executive committee, made his second appearance before magistrate Nasha Banwari, who extended his R500 bail.
The matter was postponed for the outcome of written representations for the withdrawal of the charges to be submitted to the prosecuting authorities.
Sylvester Vogel, for Yengeni, told the court that he had received details of the two charges from prosecutor Adiel Jansen, and that he needed time to study these.
He undertook to have the written representations submitted to the prosecuting authorities "within a month".
As an alternative to the drunken driving charge, Yengeni is alleged to have driven with a blood-alcohol level of 0.25%, five times the legal limit of 0.05.
He was arrested in August last year, after City of Cape Town law enforcement officials saw him allegedly driving his Maserati erratically near the intersection of Somerset and Dixon roads in the Cape Town CBD.
In 2007, Yengeni was arrested in Goodwood, Cape Town, on a charge of drunken driving, but was found not guilty.
At the time of his arrest in Goodwood, he was out on parole after his 2003 conviction for fraud.