Limpopo health dept welcomes court ruling on 'Prophet of Doom'
Polokwane - The Limpopo Department of Health has welcomed a high court ruling that has stopped the "Prophet of Doom" in his tracks.
The department said on Monday that it was happy that the High Court had upheld the initial court order which interdicted Lethebo Rabalago from spraying Doom on his Mount Zion Church congregants.
The controversial pastor made headlines last year after he appeared on social media spraying Doom into the faces of church members, claiming that it would heal them.
This was despite the warning label that it contains toxic material which are dangerous for humans.
"We have are happy because we said in the beginning that we must guard against the use of Doom in churches, because we still have challenges to make sure that access to health is realised," said provincial spokesperson Thabiso Teffo.
"With the little resources we have, we must be able to prevent this. These are vulnerable people who will be coming to our hospitals and clinics," he said.
Rabalago’s lawyer Edmond Lubisi told reporters outside court that they had not received instruction to appeal.
Lubisi said the case was unique, as it was first time a religious practice had been challenged in court.
Over the past few years, dubious healing practices have surfaced, where members of the public have been forced to drink dangerous substances in the name of healing.
These went unchallenged until Limpopo Health MEC Dr Phophi Ramathuba ordered her officials to put the brakes on the harmful practice.