ANCYL Gauteng elects new leaders
Johannesburg - The ANC Youth League in Gauteng elected new leadership at a conference held at the weekend.
Matome Chiloane was elected chairperson, Vuyo Mhaga deputy chairperson, Bones Modise provincial secretary, Kgomotso Ramolobeng deputy secretary and Mabo Thange treasurer, the party said in a statement on Monday.
A new provincial executive committee was also elected.
The Gauteng PEC was disbanded last year after a decision taken by the ANCYL national task team.
Modise on Monday confirmed that the conference had nominated former ANCYL treasurer Pule Mabe to take the position of president of the league.
"The Gauteng congress decided to put forward comrade Mabe for the presidency of the ANCYL," he said.
Mabe is currently facing fraud charges in the Pretoria Specialised Commercial Crimes Court.
Mabe and two others have been charged with fraud and corruption. They were arrested after handing themselves to the police last year.
Some other front-runners for the position of president were reportedly former deputy ANCYL president Ronald Lamola and national task team (NTT) co-ordinator Magasela Mzobe.
The ANCYL is expected to hold its national elective conference next month.
The national executive committee was disbanded last year and replaced by the NTT.
National spokesperson Bandile Masuku said the conference could possibly be held on 24 September.
The NTT had met with the ANC's top officials last week to discuss progress it had made since taking over control of the ANCYL and the challenges it was facing, he said.
On the matter of nominations for the top position in the ANCYL, Masuku said provinces still needed to hold provincial general councils to make formal nominations.
The ANCYL in the Eastern Cape also held a conference at the weekend.
Despite reports of chaos at the conference, Masuku said the meeting had been concluded.
"The conference continued," he said. "We still need a report from them on what happened."
Sowetan newspaper reported that police had to be called to intervene.
Eastern Cape police on Monday said they were not aware of this and nothing had been reported.
The newspaper reported that Eastern Cape convenor Ncedo Kumbaca had adjourned the conference, but co-ordinator Butsha Lali had decided to continue with it.
Kumbaca could not be reached for comment.