Pregnant

Woman dies after being denied abortion

After complaining of back pain, Savita Halappanavar, 31, was found by Irish doctors to be miscarrying her foetus of 17 weeks- a week later Halappanavar was dead of septicaemia.  Doctors allegedly refused to perform an abortion while the foetus still had a heartbeat, telling her that “this [Ireland] is a Catholic country”, according to the Irish Times.

Here’s the timeline:

• 21 October: Savita, a dentist, is diagnosed as miscarrying her 17-week-old foetus after experiencing back pain.
  • Over the next three days, and in agony, Savita begged doctors to terminate the pregnancy, according to her husband.
  • She was refused a termination while the foetal heartbeat was present, being given as a reason that “This [Ireland] is a Catholic country”.
  • Savita [a Hindu] said: ‘I am neither Irish nor Catholic’ but was told there was nothing they could do, as it “was the law”.
  • After collapsing, she was put on antibiotics after being so violently ill that she was shaking and vomiting.
  • Following the refusal, she spent a further 2.5 days in agony before the foetal heartbeat ceased.
  • The dead foetus was removed; Savita was moved to an intensive care ward where, three days later, she succumbed to septicaemia.

Savita’s husband has since returned to India, and the hospital has instigated an investigation into his late wife's death.

Critics have spoken out against what they’re saying is a senseless death as a result of the cruel application of laws which don’t take into account the health of the expectant mother, as well as questioning a woman’s rights over her own body.

If you were told you were miscarrying and you were in pain, would you ask for an abortion?
Read more on: religion miscarriage abortion
Genevieve KomboKitten Lesch 2012-11-14 10:51:10 AM
it's not an abortion if the child is already dead!
ClassWar Cynic 2012-11-14 11:17:46 AM
God's love on display again.
Jane Longmuir 2012-11-14 11:26:08 AM
Miscarriage is bad enough to go through but to kill the mother as well is not acceptable. These people now most definitely have blood on their hands and they should be punished for it. Religion should never come before the health of someone, I don't care what religion it is!!
Matlhomola Dan Makgitla 2012-11-14 11:39:05 AM
Selfish useless law cost a woman her life...every women should be allowed to do an abortio.IRELANA GORNMENT CAN GO TO HELL.thy should to sued.shame on dat government
jennifer.s.nutt 2012-11-14 12:01:07 PM
If I'm not mistaken, abortions are actually allowed within Catholic belief if the pregnancy endangers the mother's life...
Stefan Van Der Spuy 2012-11-15 03:25:16 PM
What a messed up religion. She was aborting, the baby would have died anyway! Imagine her last two days of agony!
Diana Gill 2012-11-16 10:16:38 AM
Sometimes it feels like doctors are here to look for an easiest solution for themselves than to help their patients. I am sure that a miscarriage could have been prevented in which case both a mother and her baby were fine. Mentioning their christian beliefs was no more than an attempt to cover their bad professionalism and maltreating at the first place. I myself have lost a baby being 4 months far after falling of a tree (this is only my fault and no one else's, what other pregnant woman can think of climbing up the tree only cause she wants some cherries so bad that it looks like a hell of a mission to go and buy them at a local store). I've been walking around with a bad pain in my back for a couple of days before i decided to go and see my doctor (at this stage i had to call a taxi because my pain was immobilizing me completely). I have lost my boy right in the ward and my doctor gave me a hiding of a lifetime calling me a stupid cow (which i dont argue at all) and telling if i contacted her straight after the accident the baby would have been safe. In Savita's case those idiots kept her without doing anything for three days and afterwards found a big fat excuse how to walk away from their primary responsibility. May they rot in their graves.
azelle.meyer 2012-11-22 11:41:22 AM
That bad I wonder what is the doctor going to say its not my fualt
mmapulaj 2013-01-30 01:36:09 PM