Sport

Taute called up by Baby Boks

2011-06-14 15:06
Cape Town - SA Under-20 utility back Craig Barry was on Tuesday ruled out of the 2011 IRB Junior World Championship due to injury and will be replaced by Lions fullback Jaco Taute, who will join the Baby Boks in Treviso on Wednesday.

Barry sustained a right groin muscle injury on Monday during training. The Baby Boks face Ireland in Treviso later on Tuesday (20h10) and play England in their final Pool C match in Padova on Saturday.

The South Africans kicked off their 2011 campaign with a 33-0 victory over Scotland on Friday.

"It's disappointing to lose a player at a tournament where there is a four-day turn-around, and our sympathy goes out to Craig who still has a bright future in rugby," said SA Under-20 coach Dawie Theron.

"Craig is one of a few players that have been part of our setup this season that will have another opportunity to represent the Baby Boks at next year's IRB Junior World Championship in South Africa. He has also been part of the Springbok Sevens structures for the past few months, and I am confident that he will easily slot back into their systems as soon as he has recovered from this injury.

"The injury to Craig affords someone else an opportunity at this level. Jaco represented the Baby Boks during last year's IRB Junior World Championship, and has the necessary experience. He was not considered for selection to the SA U20 squad as we maintained a selection criterion that players had to attend local training camps to be considered for selection.

"Jaco did not attend any training camps due to Super Rugby commitments for the Lions. But their Super Rugby campaign has concluded and he is now available. He has been in excellent form this year at Super Rugby level, and his selection is a logical rugby choice as he still qualifies to represent the SA Under-20s this year," said Theron.
 
Sport24

More Stories in Rugby

«Back
Ad:Metropolitan Family Funeral Plan from R36 p.m.