Guinea opposition resumes strikes over disputed polls
Guinea's opposition on Monday resumed protests over disputed local elections in February, with a strike crippling parts of the seaside capital Conakry.
Traffic was disrupted in Matoto and Ratoma, the city's biggest areas where opposition supporters set up barricades, as well as at the main markets of Madina and Bonfi.
"We will continue to put spokes in the wheels of the majority," said Alpha Mamadou Sane from the main opposition UFDG party.
"Only the ministers and their deputies have opened their offices so that they can say the administration was functioning," he said.
"Secretaries, delivery boys, orderlies, technicians and workers all stayed away."
Lamarana Diallo, a shopkeeper at Madina said: "We are here to keep a watch and prevent looting by the security forces and bystanders who always try and take advantage of the situation."
Disputed results of the February vote sparked demonstrations that have claimed at least 15 lives.
* Sign up to News24's top Africa news in your inbox: SUBSCRIBE TO THE HELLO AFRICA NEWSLETTER
The opposition stopped the protests and started talks with the government but called them off last week, saying there was a lack of will on the part of our adversaries to find consensus on the electoral differences."
Opposition leader Cellou Dalein Diallo said on Thursday the government was "sticking to its position by saying it cannot change the results announced by the independent national election commission", or CENI.
"The results do not remotely reflect the real outcome," he said, adding that the "choice of the citizens in voting stations supercedes all other considerations."
The February election was the first of its kind since a military dictatorship ended a decade ago. It followed eight years of delays blamed on lack of funds, political infighting and the 2013-16 Ebola crisis.