Imbawula leaves three dead

After the death of three family members due to carbon inhalation, the Masina family in Kuyasa is sending out an appeal to the community to assist with the burial of the deceased.

The deceased died after inhaling smoke fumes from a brazier during their sleep last week on Tuesday.

Harare police station communications officer Siyabulela Vukubi confirmed the incident and said an inquest docket has been opened.

“Three people (were) found dead in their house at Nxala Street after the suspected inhalation of smoke from a brazier,” said Vukubi.

Among the deceased, are Noncedile Masina,42, Sisipho Ntshinga,17, and her friend, known only as Simamkele, who was visiting from Langa.

Bongiwe Mjakada, a family member, said she last saw them last week on Tuesday.

“I used to see her every morning when I come to drop my child at the crèche opposite her house. But on Wednesday, I didn’t see her and her house was closed, but the lights were on in the back rooms, I was informed about their death in the afternoon on Wednesday by the community members,” said Mjakada.

She said as a family members they are facing a mammoth burden to bury them.

“Our concern is Simamkele, because we don’t know her family. She was visiting Sisipho. But, we are appealing to everyone to help us bury our family members because no one is working in the family,” she urged.

Little Acorn Educare Centre principal Zoleka Jidane said she found out about their death when she came to connect electricity in the afternoon as they were going to have a meeting with the parents.

“I knocked on the door and no one responded. I pulled the burglar bar and pushed the door open. I saw two children sitting on the couch, in front of them was a brazier. They were both looking dazed.

When I checked the other room, their father was still alive but also in a daze, and his wife was dead already.

He asked for water. Then I went to check to other room, I saw two children, foaming at the mouth, but dead and other child was still rolling their eyes next to them,”said Jidane.

She called the neighbours who phoned the ambulance. Ward 99 Councillor Bongile Ngcali brought the family a food hamper to see them through.

“The fact that they were sitting in the brazier shows they cannot afford electricity or paraffin. Four other people survived the tragedy; Mzulungile, Nosiphe, Sikho and Ayakha Masina.