Man kills 2-year-old
After several days on the run, the man who was arrested in connection with the alleged gruesome murder of two-year-old Oyingcwele Zokufa, appeared in the Wynberg Magistrate’s Court on Monday and is expected to appear again for a bail application on Wednesday 19 September.
The 32-year-old man has been remanded in custody until his next appearance.
He was arrested in New Rest, Gugulethu, on Thursday last week after leading police to a shallow grave where he had allegedly buried his victim in a bush near the N2, in Thabo Mbeki, near Luzuko.
The suspect is know to the family of his alleged victim.
He had been on the run for several days and had allegedly been “playing hide and seak” with the police and relatives of the boy since the child’s disappearance on Sunday 26 August.
Sikelela Zokufa an uncle of the toddler, said the accused had tried to play mind games with the family. He said the suspect took the child away on Sunday after a fall- out with the boy’s aunt.
Zokufa said since the child went missing, the suspect had been in contact with the family and had also lured his girlfriend to the crime scene, but ran away when he noticed that she was not alone.
He did the same with the police.
Zokufa said the family was devastated by what had happened.
Mncedisi Mgidlana, a family speokesperson, said the accused had messed up with the “wrong people”. He pleaded with the police to “forever” keep him in jail.
“We would have loved to see him with our own eyes,” he said. We want him to rot in prison.”
V To page 3.