Rock-throwing suspects in court
THREE suspects accused of being involved in rock throwing incidents on the North Coast appeared at the Verulam Magistrate’s Court on Thursday, August 23.
Selven Govender, Nathan Govender, and their employee Qiniso Gumbi are linked to a rock throwing incident that happened near the Tongaat bridge in December 2017.
Two people died when a stone was thrown over the bridge and hit their car.
The three Greylands residents in their sworn affidavits read out in court by their legal representative Rajendra Nathalal, said they will plead not guilty on all charges. The three are facing charges of murder and attempted murder.
Nathalal said his clients have no knowledge of the incident that occurred in December 2017.
Investigating officer Captain Ivan Padayachee said the state has five witnesses [children] and some of these witnesses were the minors that were initially taken in for questioning after they were found by the police near the bridge.
Padayachee said: “This is a very sensitive case that involves two people who died.”
He said cases of rock throwing in KZN were prevalent and that has prompted eThekwini Municipality to invest a lot of money to hire people to monitor the situation at the bridges.
Padayachee said the police opposed bail on the basis that the suspects will interfere with state witnesses and escape if they are released on bail.
It emerged that the second suspect has previous convictions of drunken driving, committed in 2014, and possession of drugs from 2013.
Padayachee also told the court that there was still other outstanding information, such as DNA reports, that will link the suspects to the crime scene.
Nathalal said one of the suspect’s houses had been vandalised and his property had been stolen after he was arrested.
Nathalal also argued that there was no DNA found on the rock that was thrown into the car where the two people died.
The matter was adjourned until August 29 for further investigation.