Learners to be registered

The Free State Department of Education encourages parents to register their children for the 2019 school year.

The department has set 28 September as the closing date for the learners’ admission and registration.

MEC for Education Tate Makgoe said meeting the registration deadline will ensue that the department starts on time with learning and teaching on the first day of the 2019 academic year.

“Timely enrolment leads to a good start and a successful school year. This assist in ensuring that teaching time is used fully, and the department will be in a position to deploy resources in accordance to the needs of each public school,” said Makgoe.

He said early registration and admission also assist the department to inform parents whose applications are unsuccessful, to act timeously and to make other arrangements.

“Timely registration and application would also assist the department and parents, whose applications for admissions are unsuccessful, to resolve issues arising from the process.

“Parents whose applications and admissions are unsuccessful would be informed of such in writing, and about their right to lodge an appeal with the department at district offices. Therefore, it is important that applications and admissions are done timely, so we have sufficient time to deal with such issues,” said Makgoe.

Application forms for 2019 are available at the various schools in the pro­vince.

The age of admission for Gr. R is four years, turning five by 30 June 2018, or children who were born between 1 January and 30 June 2014.

The admission age for Gr. 2 is five years (turning six) by 30 June 2019, or children who were born between 1 January 2013 and 30 June 2013.

  • The required documents for registration of a child at any public school, primary and secondary, are as follows: Birth certificate of the child; parent’s identity document and proof of residential or work address of the parent. ) Where the parent is not the biological parent of the child, documentation supporting the parent’s legal relationship with the learner will be required.) In the case of admission to a primary school, a proof that the child has been immunized, will also be required.) A recent school report of the child, if currently enrolled at another school, will also be asked.