SA has the lowest breastfeeding rate in the world
TIPS FOR EXPRESSING BREASTMILK
• Allow 20 to 40 minutes of relaxed private time
• Gently massage and squeeze around the nipple area and your milk will start to flow
• Collect your breastmilk in a wide-rimmed container that has been sterilised with boiling water
• Transfer the breastmilk to sealable bottles, food containers or food bags that have been sterilised with boiling water. You can even get pre-sterilised, resealable food bags.
• Breastmilk can be safely stored in the fridge for one to two days, or in the freezer for up to six months
• If you are expressing and storing a lot of breastmilk, date the storage containers so you can keep track of the milk that needs to be used first