CANSA reaches out to the public
WITH one in every four people being affected by cancer in South Africa, non-profit organisation CANSA is looking to reduce the incidence of cancer through awareness and education as well as improve treatment prognosis through early detection.
“We have various other services but many people do not know about these and we want to appeal to the public so that they are aware that we are here,” said Sister Carol Sibusisiwe Fakazi, a service delivery nurse at CANSA.
CANSA has various other services as well, that they offer in their Pietermaritzburg CANSA Care Centre but unfortunately, not everyone knows about these services. They offer the following services:
• CANSA educational talks;
• Healthy lifestyle risk assessments;
• Clinical breast examinations (to detect any breast abnormalities especially breast cancer);
• Cervical cancer screening/ Pap smears (to detect cervical cancer);
• Prostate Specific Antigen (a blood test that detect prostate cancer in males)
• Skin examinations and mole examination using a Foto Finder machine;
• CANSA mobile clinic;
• Corporate wellness days;
• Visiting of cancer patients within our catchment area;
• Volunteer training;
• Exhibition days; and
• Hiring out of medical equipment and selling out of wigs, prosthesis, nutritional supplements etc.
“We also have month-to-month campaigns,” said Fakazi.
For more information call 033 342 9837.