Still no certainty on ANC’s regional congress

WILL the ANC’s Moses Mabhida regional conference go ahead as planned today?

That was the question being asked by curious branch members yesterday as uncertainty marred the preparations for the long-awaited conference.

Although provincial leadership has pushed for the conference to be held tomorrow, members of the regional task team say the region is not ready with the convener of the regional task team, Sandile Dlamini, saying they will not participate in the conference if it takes place tomorrow.

“Comrades are strong-arming us to go to a conference we are not ready to go to.

“As the task team, we should be deciding on the date of the conference. ... Processes must be followed,” he said.

Dlamini said the task team that was appointed in June had not been given enough time to deal with issues of gatekeeping and disputes, saying: “Those things are part of the settlement reached after the court challenge that interdicted the provincial conference. If they forge ahead with the conference, we will not go there but we will use our rights.”

However, ANC provincial spokesperson Nomagugu Simelane-Zulu said the issues raised in the court challenge had been resolved.

The decision to hold the regional conference was taken at the party’s provincial working committee meeting and was communicated to branch leaders in a consultative meeting held at the City Hall on Monday.

Attempts to hold the regional conference in June were stopped by a Pietermaritzburg high court decision.