Sharks Board lifts all nets on South Coast
STRIKE action at the KwaZulu-Natal Sharks Board has meant that all shark nets on their protected beaches, with Ray Nkonyeni beaches being among the affected, having been lifted.
The board announced the measure ahead of a strike by workers that began last week Friday. It said there have been ongoing wage and other demand negotiations with the South African Liberated Public Sector Workers Union (Salipswu) since early December 2017.
“This matter has been heard at the CCMA on a number of occasions, unfortunately without resolution,” the board said in a statement. “The organisation has been served with a notice to strike by the union which will take effect on Friday, July 27.
“The duration of this strike action is unknown at this time and, in an effort to ensure zero environmental impact, all shark safety gear at protected beaches along the KZN coast have been temporarily removed,” it added.
The board requested bathers to adhere to lifeguards’ recommendations and instructions at the province’s beaches.
The Sharks Board said it would continue to negotiate with the union in an effort to speedily resolve these matters.
A Ray Nkonyeni Municipality spokesperson confirmed that the municipality had received an advisory notice from the Natal Sharks Board that, due to ongoing industrial action by their employees, they have had to remove all shark nets along the coast in an effort to minimize environmental impact.
“All our swimming beaches are affected by this action, and signage has been put in place to advise members of the public accordingly,”said Ray Nkonyeni Municipality communications officer Nomusa Zulu.