2 Limpopo boys die after eating snacks allegedly picked from the street

Limpopo – Two Limpopo boys have died and two others admitted to hospital after they allegedly ate chips picked from a street in Extension 19 in Sekgakgapeng near Mokopane, the department of health said on Saturday. 

One of the boys was admitted and died at the Mokopane hospital and the other one died in Voortrekker hospital, the department said in a statement. 

The boys were aged between seven and 15 years old. The other two boys were still in hospital receiving medical attention, it said.  

“While at this stage we suspect organophosphate poisoning, our Waterberg  District's Outbreak Response Team together with the Municipal  Environment Officials are currently on site for further investigation,” the department said. 

The department has appealed to parents to be vigilant and to ensure their children not to eat food picked from the street.

“The department would like to convey our heartfelt condolences to  the bereaved families and also wish the two boys speedy recovery.”