Westbury shooter appears

Johannesburg - The case against a man accused of shooting dead 3-year-old Luke Tibbetts in Westbury, Johannesburg, was postponed in the Newlands Magistrate's Court in Sophiatown on Tuesday.

Magistrate Koos Pretorius postponed the case against Lindray Khakhu, 24, to 29 August for a formal bail application.

Khakhu, wearing a grey jacket and jeans, put his head down when photographers took pictures of him.

He appeared in the dock just after 10:00.

When court proceedings began, he looked directly at Pretorius and his lawyer Rowen Meth, and occasionally glanced around the courtroom at people in the public gallery.

Policemen watched over the courtroom during proceedings.

The court heard that Khakhu faced 18 charges, including murder, attempted murder, illegal possession of a firearm and ammunition, and pointing a firearm.

Prosecutor Dion van Wyk requested that the court transfer the murder case to the high court.

"We will see what happens on the [29th of August]," said Pretorius.

Khakhu was expected to appear in the high court on previous charges on 3 September.

Van Wyk also requested that the court transfer Khakhu from the Johannesburg police station to Johannesburg Central Prison, commonly known as "Sun City".

However, Meth said his client's safety would be compromised at the prison.

"Threats have been made against my client's life," Meth said.

The State's request to have Khakhu moved to the prison was not granted and he would remain in custody at the Johannesburg police station.


Khakhu was arrested after people who witnessed the shooting identified him and reported the matter to the police.

Keenan Mokwena, 28, who was also shot and wounded in the Westbury shooting, was arrested on Wednesday.

He was also expected to appear in the Newlands Magistrate's Court on Tuesday.

Mokwena and Tibbetts were travelling in the area in different vehicles during the shooting. They were taken to nearby hospitals after the shooting.

Mokwena was shot in his right arm. He was treated and discharged.

Tibbetts was critically wounded and died in hospital on 8 August. He had been on life support machines since the shooting.

Protesters gathered outside the court on Tuesday morning.

Several people from Voice of the People of SA (VPSA) screamed "No bail for child killers".

Several community members wore T-shirts say "Say no to drugs".