ANC to remember Marikana tragedy six years on
As the country remembers the Marikana massacre on Thursday, the ANC said it was committed to ensuring that the tragedy was not repeated.
"There is no doubt about our commitment in ensuring that never again should such a tragedy befall our nation, and no stone will be left unturned in ensuring that measures are in place to achieve this," the party said in a statement on Wednesday.
Many are expected to remember the 34 mineworkers shot dead by police during the protest for better wages. Most of the miners were shot in the back.
The illegal strike began on August 12, 2012 and in the days leading up to August 16, that year, 10 people had already been killed. By the end of the strike, the death toll had risen to 44.
The ANC called on action to be taken following the tragedy.
"We call upon government to move with urgency in implementing the recommendations as directed by the Farlam Commission and particularly pay attention to interventions aimed at alleviating the plight of the affected families."
- FOLLOW News24 on Twitter