KZN man admits to killing 3 pensioners
A KwaZulu-Natal man who was accused of killing three pensioners in Pietermaritzburg has made a full confession to his crimes, the National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) said on Friday.
Kershwin Goldstone, 22, admitted to entering two different old age homes where his helpless victims were killed.
"He made a full confession to a magistrate and intends pleading guilty. He has abandoned bail," NPA spokesperson Natasha Kara said.
Goldstone's matter in the Pietermaritzburg Magistrate's Court was adjourned until August 20 for the director of public prosecutions to make arrangements for him to plead.
Last month, three elderly people aged between 88 and 92 were attacked while they were at the old age homes in the Pietermaritzburg CBD.
Police said he entered two different old age homes where he ransacked the residences and took various belongings before attacking his victims by strangling them and stabbing them with scissors.
"The recent incident took place on Tuesday, 31 July, 2018, where an 89-year-old woman was attacked by the suspect. Her throat was also slit and she died at the scene," KwaZulu-Natal police spokesperson Lieutenant Colonel Thulani Zwane said.
He added that Goldman took a TV set, jewellery and fled the scene on foot.
Zwane said Pietermaritzburg police officers had strengthened their patrols around these homes. This led to the Goldstone's arrest.