KZN taxi massacre: Cops probe two men for possible links

Police are confident of a breakthrough in the investigation into the KwaZulu-Natal taxi massacre last month, in which 12 people were killed, saying that they are trying to establish whether two people in custody can be linked to the incident.

"We cannot call them suspects for the Colenso massacre for now, they are being accused [in] other matters. But we are, through investigations, linking them to the massacre. We are confident that they will be linked," police spokesperson Vishnu Naidoo told News24 on Thursday.

However, Naidoo was reluctant to give details, saying that the investigation was sensitive.

Naidoo said five people were initially arrested in connection with the massacre but that three have since been released.

The remaining two are in custody. One was arrested two weeks ago, while the other was nabbed a week ago, Naidoo said.

Police are trying to establish whether they can be linked to the Colenso massacre. 

On Saturday, July 21, a minibus taxi from Gauteng was travelling from a funeral at Ematimatolo back to Johannesburg along the R74 between Colenso and Weenen when it was ambushed by a group of gunmen.

Eleven people were declared dead at the scene, while one more person died in hospital later.