More pupils hospitalised after Eastern Cape food poisoning outbreak

Mthatha – More pupils at Ndamase Senior Secondary School in Ngqeleni in the Eastern Cape have been hospitalised after a severe food poisoning outbreak at the school's hostel.

Eastern Cape health department spokesperson Sizwe Kupelo said 250 pupils had been treated for vomiting, stomach cramps and headaches at three hospitals - Mthatha Regional Hospital‚ Nelson Mandela Academic Hospital and St Barnabas Hospital - since Wednesday evening.

He said all those who were hospitalised initially, had been discharged and that more had to be admitted for treatment later.

Read: Hundreds of pupils rushed to hospital as food poisoning strikes at Eastern Cape school

"I can confirm that an ambulance has responded to the school and more [pupils] have been transported to hospital," he said.

Kupelo said he did not know how many pupils were admitted.

He was also unable to say whether those who were admitted were new cases or whether they were pupils who had to be readmitted after they were discharged.