SANDF prepares to withdraw its medical emergency services from the North West

South African National Defence Force (SANDF) chief General Solly Shoke said restoring the North West to some normality was a "mission accomplished" and that the military would be pulling out of the province with immediate effect.  

The South African Military Health Service was deployed to the province in April to reinforce the medical care capacity at the Mahikeng Provincial Hospital.

Shoke said the SANDF would still assist with providing water and sanitation in the province, but said its medical emergency services would be withdrawn after the situation had improved.

Shoke was speaking at a media briefing in Pretoria on Tuesday. 

In April SANDF spokesperson Brigadier General Mafi Mgobozi said the deployment was as a result of debilitating labour action by workers in the health sector.

Earlier this month Premier Job Mokgoro, who had recently been appointed to lead the province, approached the UN agencies in South Africa to assist with expertise in areas that led the national government to invoke sections 100(1)(a) and (1)(b) of the Constitution, and place the province under national administration.

The province was hit by unrest in several towns earlier this year, after claims of years of mismanagement by former premier Supra Mahumapelo. The situation led the national government to place the province under administration. Mahumapelo stepped down as premier in May.