Springs 'house of horror' father found guilty of rape, attempted murder

The man dubbed the "Springs monster", who is accused of the decade-long abuse of his five children, was found guilty in the North Gauteng High Court in Pretoria on Thursday. 

Judge Eben Jordaan found the man guilty of raping his oldest daughter, who was 16 at the time, the attempted murder of his then 11-year-old son, defeating the ends of justice, obstruction of justice, five counts of child abuse and five counts of child neglect.  

The man was also found guilty of dealing in drugs and the possession of drugs. He was, however, found not guilty for possession and manufacturing of explosives.

READ: 'Springs monster' breaks down during wife’s testimony

Jordaan found the man's ex-wife guilty of defeating the ends of justice, obstruction of justice, five accounts of child neglect, and being in possession of drugs.   

She was found not guilty of attempted murder of the son, possession and manufacturing of explosives, five counts of child abuse, and dealing in drugs.

Abuse details

Police arrived at their house in Springs, on the East Rand, in May 2014, after the man's son ran to a neighbour for help. The father was arrested on May 23.

While delivering his judgment, Jordaan highlighted some of the abuse the children had suffered at the hands of the man. 

Jordaan said the man had admitted that he had touched the girl's private parts only once. This was two months prior to his arrest, and had previously denied that she was his child.  


The ex-wife of the "Springs monster" was found guilty of defeating the ends of justice, obstruction of justice, five accounts of child neglect and being in possession of drugs. (Iavan Pijoos, News24)  

However, the daughter said that he had tried to touch her private parts on four occasions. At one stage, he could not penetrate her, because she told him it was too sore. 

She also said that he had kissed and sucked her private parts. 

In a separate incident, he put his hands in her pants and put his finger inside her private parts, he also scratched her. She had bled for two days. 

She told the police at the time that some boys who lived in their yard had tried to have sex with her. She, however, later said she made false testimonies to the police because she wanted to protect the man. 

Jordaan said he had an opportunity to listen to her testimony in court and found that she was trustworthy. 


(Iavan Pijoos, News24)

He also referred to a time when the man had handcuffed the boy between two pillars and pepper-sprayed him.

The children only ate noodles, bread and hot chips. They also had no friends, did not attend school and slept on dirty mattresses. There were also rats all over the house. 

They were responsible for the cleaning of the house, where the daughter was exposed to pornography.

The ex-wife's bail was extended, while the man remained in custody.

The case was postponed to October 1 for pre-sentencing.

KEEP UPDATED on the latest news by subscribing to our FREE newsletter.

- FOLLOW News24 on Twitter