Three firefighters confirmed dead following Johannesburg building fire
Three firefighters have died after battling a blaze in a building belonging to the Gauteng government.
Gauteng MEC for Infrastructure Development Jacob Mamabolo confirmed the deaths at a media briefing on Wednesday afternoon.
Two firefighters are believed to have succumbed to their injuries after they became trapped in the building. The third fell to his death while battling the blaze. (see picture below. Warning: Not for sensitive viewers)
Thirteen people were taken to hospital for treatment.
The fire, which was allegedly caused by an electrical fault, broke out on the 23rd floor of the building, which is shared by the departments of health, human settlements and co-operative governance.
All workers were evacuated from the building.
Mamabolo said everyone would stay home until they could be relocated.
"The building does not comply with occupational health and safety, was not compliant with the basic regulations," he told the briefing.
By 17:00 the fire had been extinguished and the bodies of the deceased had been removed.