Vereeniging bomb suspect abandons his bail application

The man arrested in connection with the discovery of a suspected homemade explosive device at the Masjid Taqwa mosque in Roshnee, Vereeniging, has abandoned his bail application, Hawks spokesperson Hangwani Mulaudzi said.  

The 36-year-old suspect was expected to apply for bail at the Vereeniging Magistrate's Court on Thursday.

He is facing charges of illegal possession of explosives.  

Mulaudzi said the case had been postponed to November 16. 

The man was arrested on July 31 after he was apprehended by security guards at the mosque. 

He had left his bag at the place of worship. When security officials opened the bag they allegedly discovered the suspected handmade explosive device.

Earlier on Thursday, the Hawks confirmed to News24 that police were also investigating the suspect's possible link to explosive devices found recently in Durban. 

Several suspicious devices were found around Durban last month, most at large shopping centres.

Bomb-like devices had been found at Woolworths stores at The Pavilion Shopping Centre and at Gateway Mall.

READ: Police probing possible links between Vereeniging bomb suspect and KZN explosives